My father was self-employed. He ran a successful business and taught me quite a bit about how to treat the people who work with me. He taught me a lot about delivering what I promise and always doing my best. But it was my mother who taught me about public relations.
In no particular order:
- Be nice.
- Don’t lie.
- If you don’t have something nice to say, don’t say anything at all. (In PR, that means don’t volunteer the bad stuff.)
- Don’t let them see they’re getting to you.
- Use your inside voice.
- Don’t gossip. (Also known as “there’s no such thing as off the record.”)
- Remember your company manners.
- Pay attention when people are talking to you.
- Don’t fidget.
There’s more, of course, but that’s what came to mind this week as I juggled my to do list.